Rats are dirty animals. Beside they can damage your furniture and anything around your house, they also can distribute more than 20 diseases and some of them are:
– Leptospirosis which is a bacterial infection that is caused by contact with rat urine via contaminated water, food or soil.
– Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome is a lung infection virus that is caused by contact or breathing in rat urine or feces or from rat bites.
– Salmonellosis is a food poisoning that is caused by rat feces leeching into food.
So, when you realize that rats live in your house by finding the signs including finding live or dead rats, their droppings, their nests, gnawed wires and hearing their sounds, you have to act immediately. Well, rats do not only live inside the house, but they also can live in the yard. So, if you find burrows around the yard, under the home or outbuildings or even gnawed fruits in the trees, it can be the signs of rats as well.
So, how to repel rats naturally? Well, to repel rats, you need to create an environment which does not encourage rats to make a home in your yard. To do that, you can:
- Stack firewood at least 45.7 cm off of the ground and you have to keep it some feet away from your house.
- Plant shrubs, bushes and big plants at least 0.9 m away from all buildings.
- Keep all trash inside trashcan and you have to cover it securely.
- Place bird feeders on poles where seeds is not accessible to rats.
Beside the methods above, how to get rid of rats in yard without harming pets? You also have to keep the rats out of gardens and away from plants by:
- Planting mint around your garden to construct a barrier which rats will not cross.
- Mixing together gypsum, naphthalene flakes and chili pepper and spread the mixture around the garden to keep squirrels out.
- Spraying urine from a predators on the trees, bushes or the ground on the perimeter of your yard and then reapply the scent every time it rains.
- Well, you can prevent a rat infestation in your yard. You need to do is:
- Cleaning the area near your house more often. Never leave any garbage because rats and raccoons can take advantage of it.
- Watching the bushes and trees near your house because the rats are attracted by thick weaving and dry groomed plants. In case they create a nest there, they will not likely want to pay visits to your house in search of food.
- Eliminating any sources of standing water in the yard. Beside thick weaving and dry groomed plants, what attracts rats to your yard? The answer is water.
- In case you feed your pets in the yard, you have to make sure that you do not leave their food bowls there at night because rats can have some of those wet dog food at night when they are active.
- Making sure that holes in the walls are not available or opened. It is because the holes can be a way for rats to get into your house.
So, you need to be careful about the existence of rats. If you suspect that there are rats in your house or even in your yard, you have to get rid of them as soon as possible before they damage anything around your house.